This project aims to analyse the normative framework and public policies of higher education in Angola, Cape Verde and São Tomé and Príncipe, as well as to examine the role of development cooperation in this context. Starting from the premise that education is a fundamental human right and essential for the exercise of both civil and political rights, as well as economic, social and cultural rights. With reference to the UN Agenda 2030 “Transforming our world” and the African Union Agenda 2063, “The Africa we want”, which highlight the fundamental role of education in development processes and emphasize the need to prioritize investment in education from childhood, in higher education, science, technology and research. The aim of this study is to understand the existing legal framework in these countries, as well as the extent to which cooperation promotes the right to education in higher education in Portuguese-speaking African Countries. In this first phase, the target countries are Angola, Cape Verde and São Tomé and Príncipe.
Specific Objectives of the Project
– To survey the regulatory framework and public policies on higher education in Angola, Cape Verde and São Tomé and Príncipe
– To identify the areas of contribution of Development Cooperation to the construction of the right to education in higher education in the implementing countries
– To compare the different normative bodies that constitute the right to education in the implementing countries.
– To analyse the different gaps, lack of regulation and highlight good practices, based on a scientific analysis and from a critical and development perspective.
– To contribute to the implementation of this right in terms of public policies and cooperation priorities.
NOVA School of Law; Jurisnova – Portugal; CEJES – Angola; ISCJS – Cape Verde; Universidade do Minho – JusGov. Universidade de São Tomé e Príncipe.
Equipa de Gestão de Projeto
|Coordinator||Francisco Pereira Coutinho|
|Project Manager||Aua Baldé|
|Finantial Manager||Maria João Carapêto|
|Team||Aua Baldé, Marília Higa, Rui Garrido, Maria João Carapêto|
1st April 2020 to 31st March 2021
Funding Bodies: Instituto Camões, Jurisnova, NOVA School of Law; Jurisnova; CEJES; ISCJS; Universidade do Minho – Escola de Direito.
Amount of Funding: 26 972,22 euros (Instituto Camões – 16 736,42 euros; NSL: 7 217 euros; Jurisnova: 500 euros; CEJES: 549 euros; ISCJS: 875 euros; University of Minho – School of Law: 1 095 euros)
Project website: https://projetoeducacao.cedis.novalaw.unl.pt/