First International Conference of the Jean Monnet Module EU Insurance Law: Challenges in the SDG era
Deadline for submission: 31 March
About the conference
The main objective of this annual conference is to create a forum where scholars, practitioners, non-governmental organizations, third sector and state agencies with an interest in insurance will meet and discuss topics that are of interest to all, with a focus on public policy recommendations: the role of insurance in fostering sustainable development goals. We aim to contribute to the generation of knowledge and raise awareness as to the role of insurance for the equal enjoyment of human rights and the achievement of SDGs, in line with the core values of the European Union.
In 2023, this annual conference will be devoted to SDG 3: Good Health and Well-being.
Location and date
The main conference will follow a hybrid format, the physical location being at NOVA University, Lisbon. The conference will take place on 13 July 2023. On 14 July 2023, a series of additional and related discussion panels composed of young scholars and practitioners will take place at NOVA School of Law. All conference participants are welcome to attend this session either online or in person at no additional cost.
- Deadline for submission of abstracts (including panels): 31 March 2023.
- Successful applicants will be informed no later than 31 May 2023.
- Deadline for submission of full papers and posters: 1 July 2023.
- Conference publication (keynote speakers and communications): December 2023.
All submissions should be sent by email to EUInsLSDG@novalaw.unl.pt.
Coordinators: Prof. Margarida Lima Rego, Prof. María del Val Bolívar Oñoro, Prof. Maria Elisabete Ramos. Scientific Committee Members: Prof. Claire Bright, Prof. Fabrizio Esposito, Prof. Soraya Nour-Sckell, PhD candidates Joana Campos Carvalho, Martinho Lucas Pires, Patrícia Assunção Soares and Vítor Boaventura Xavier.
This Conference forms part of the Jean Monnet Module “EU Insurance Law: Challenges in the SDG Era” (ref. no. 101085125), funded by the European Union (Erasmus+ Programme).
Instructions for submission: abstracts, papers and posters
Attention: in 2023, for the main conference on 13 July, the organizers will only consider submissions specifically related to insurance and SDG 3. Submissions on insurance and other SDGs may be exceptionally considered for presentation on 14 July.
All abstracts will be assessed by the conference coordinators and members of the scientific committee, on the basis of:
- Originality and innovative nature of the work;
- Relevance to conference topic;
- Bearing in mind the aim of the conference, preference will be given to abstracts related to public policy recommendations;
Only one abstract per author will be considered.
Joint submissions are possible.
For abstract submissions, please send us
- An abstract written in English or Portuguese, not exceeding 500 words;
- A short biography (100 words);
- The author’s name and affiliation;
- The author’s contact details, including email address and phone number of the corresponding author;
- Whether the abstract should be considered for the Conference Prize (see below);
- The desired format of participation (oral presentation or poster);
- Whether attendance is expected to be in person or online.
Full paper instructions
- Full papers must not exceed 60,000 characters with spaces, including notes and references
- Full papers may only be written in English, but the paper presentation at the conference may take place in either English or Portuguese.
- Posters should be conceived taking into account printing requirements for size A1;
- Posters may only be written in Portuguese or English;
- Accessibility to all should be considered (please, bear this in mind while choosing colours, language used, etc.);
Considering that posters will be discussed during the lunch and coffee breaks, they may only be presented by those attending the conference in person.
The conference fee is 100 euros. This fee will be reduced to 50 euros in case of remote participation. A special reduced fee of 50 euros will apply to members of AIDA. No fee will be applied to students and persons with disabilities (proof of status is required).
All selected speakers must register for the conference but their attendance will be free of charge.
The conference does not cover expenses for travel and accommodation. This does not apply to keynote speakers.
Conference Prize for Oral Presentations
This prize is aimed at young scholars, including Ph.D. candidates and holders of a PhD who have successfully defended their theses less than five years prior to the date of the conference. The prize is 500€ and a certificate. Only one prize will be awarded in each edition of this annual conference, but it might be split in case of a tie.
To be considered, please provide the following information when submitting the abstract:
- An expression of interest in competing for the prize;
- An anonymized version of the full paper;
- Date of enrolment in PhD programme / date of PhD defence. In the case of winning, a certificate of the enrolment or the Ph.D. defence will be required.
An independent panel or peer reviewers selected by the conference organizers will anonymously assess applications to the conference prize.
For further information, please write to EUInsLSDG@novalaw.unl.pt