Research Grant n.º 8/2023
Applications from June 19, 2023 to July 3, 2023
1 (One) Research Grant for PhD students
A call is open for the award of 1 (one) Research Grant (BI) under the scope of the Observatório do Racismo e da Xenofobia, with financial support from the Secretaria de Estado da Igualdade e Migrações, for students enrolled on a PhD course to collaborate at the Antígona Knowledge Centre, hosted by CEDIS, the R&D Centre on Law and Society (UI0714), of the NOVA School of Law – Faculty of Law of the Nova University of Lisbon, coordinated by Professor Teresa Beleza.
Scientific Domain: Sociology
Graduates in Sociology, enrolled in a PhD course.
2. Admission Requirements:
a) Degree in Sociology.
b) Be enrolled in a PhD course.
c) Advanced knowledge of Human Rights and issues related to discrimination, xenophobia and racism, (post-graduate studies in these areas);
d) Proficient user of English (level C1 or equivalent);
3. Evaluation parameters:
a) Scientific and curricular career (30%);
b) Motivation letter (30%);
c) Interview (30%);
d) Relevance and suitability of the previous academic and professional career to the Observatory’s mission (10%).
Candidates whose application is assessed with a final mark of less than 14 points are not eligible for a scholarship.
4. Work Plan:
- Collecting, systematising and analysing scientific, statistical and administrative information from national and international sources concerning the phenomenon of racism, xenophobia and discrimination.
- Support for the monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes on combating racism, xenophobia and discrimination.
- Support for the organisation of conferences, annual conferences, seminars and workshops of the Observatory.
- Production and updating of content on the Observatory’s website.
- Preparation and participation in national and international conferences for the scientific dissemination of the Observatory’s work.
- Technical-scientific and administrative support to the coordination and bodies in the activities and projects developed by the Observatory.
- Preparation of proposals and monitoring of projects developed by the Observatory.
- Contact with members and external entities within the scope of the activities developed by the Observatory.
- Participation in international comparative research projects in its field of activity.
- Collaboration in the preparation of Activity Plans and Reports.
- Support to the activities developed by the coordination.
5. Applicable legal norms:
Research Grant Holder Statute, approved by Law no. 40/2004, of 18 August, amended by Decree-Law no. 202/2012, of 27 August, by DecreeLaw no. 233/2012, of 29 October, by Law no. 12/2013, of 29 January, by Decree-Law no. 89/2013, of 9 July and by Decree-Law no. 123/2019, of 28 August (available at https://dre.pt/dre/legislacao-consolidada/lei/2004-58216179) and subsidiarily by the Research Grant Regulations of the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, I.P., 2019 (available at https://dre.pt/dre/detalhe/regulamento/950-2019-127238533)
6. Place of work:
The work will be carried out at the Antígona Knowledge Centre, hosted by CEDIS at the Faculty of Law of the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, under the scientific supervision of Professor Helena Pereira de Melo.
The grant has a duration of 12 (twelve) months, starting in July 2023. The grant contract may be renewed, subject to a favourable evaluation report from the supervisor, maintenance of the quality of doctoral student and approval from the Board of the Faculty of Law of the Universidade Nova de Lisboa, for an equal period, up to a maximum of 3 (three) renewals or until completion of the doctoral programme, whichever occurs first.
8. Amount of the monthly maintenance allowance:
The amount of the grant is 1,199.64 euros (one thousand one hundred and ninety-nine euros and sixty-four cents).
The grantees will have personal accident insurance and, if they are not covered by any other social protection scheme, they can exercise their right to social security by joining the voluntary social insurance scheme, under the terms of the Social Security Contributions Code.
9. Publicity and deadline for applications:
The present Call for Proposals is advertised on the NOVA School of Law website and facilities, on the CEDIS website and on the EURAXESS Portal for a period of 10 working days and is open until the 3 July 2023.
10. Composition of the Selection Board:
Chairman: Professor Manuel Lisboa, Full Professor at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities of Universidade NOVA de Lisboa.
Effective members: Prof. Helena Pereira de Melo, Associate Professor with Aggregation of the Faculty of Law of Universidade NOVA de Lisboa – NOVA School of Law and Dr. Paulo Ferreira, Administrator of the Faculty of Law of Universidade NOVA de Lisboa – NOVA School of Law.
11. Formalisation of applications:
Applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com, with the subject “Research Grant No. 8/2023”, and must be accompanied by the following documents:
i) Motivation letter;
ii) Detailed curriculum vitae (including current address and a telephone contact);
iii) Documents proving the academic degrees obtained and their classification. For academic degrees conferred by foreign higher education institution see Note 1 (below);
iv) Proof of enrolment in the doctoral course;
v) Reference letters or contacts;
vi) Other relevant documents.
Failure to submit 1 or more documents referred to in points i) to iv) may lead to the exclusion of the application by decision of the jury.
Note 1: For academic degrees conferred by foreign higher education institution it is also mandatory to present the Certificate of Recognition Registration, under the terms of Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August 16, and Ordinance no. 33/2019, of January 25. More information can be obtained at https://www.dges.gov.pt/pt/pagina/reconhecimento?plid=374
12. Obligations of the grant holder:
It is the grant holder’s duty to punctually comply with the guidelines established by the scientific advisor, and to timely prepare a half-yearly report and an assessment of the programme of activities developed with the awarded grant. The fulfilment of the work plan, with justified exceptions, takes place in the premises of CEDIS and/or the Faculty of Law of the UNL.
13. Other information:
For clarifications or information requests, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 21 384 74 66, between 10h-12h and 15h17h.
14. Hearing of interested parties:
Under the terms of article 124, no. 1, al. a), of the Administrative Procedure Code, the hearing of interested parties is waived in the present competition due to the urgency of the selection decision of the grant holder.
15. Form of publication/notification of results:
The final results of the evaluation will be published through an anonymous list, posted in a visible and public place of the Faculty of Law of Universidade NOVA de Lisboa and on the CEDIS website, and the candidates will be notified by e-mail.
Anexo I – Template of the contract
Anexo II – Scholarship Activity Report Template
Anexo III – Mentor’s assessment report template. The scientific advisor evaluates the fulfilment of the activity plan in the period under evaluation.